Girl Code Resources
As you continue to equip yourself with the knowledge needed to succeed in life through self-awareness, self-confidence, and purpose, I want to encourage you to visit this page and see what new resources are available for you. Remember, Girl Code is all about you, your unique identity, and no one can ever take that away from you. It is up to you to build the foundation of who you are and who you want to be in this life. If you have any questions, concerns, or need some additional resources, please do not hesitate to contact me at 361-444-3912 or email@example.com
Be Equipped. Be Empowered. Be Encouraged.
Health & Wellness
- STDs– Sexually Transmitted Diseases are serious business and it is important that you understand just how serious they are. To get some additional information about the many STDs out there, more common and less common, you can visit http://www.beforeplay.org/stds/
- Body Care– Your body is or will change and no one wants to be the “smelly” kid at school. Make sure you gain the right information about feminine hygiene. YouTube is not a reliable source of how to take care of your body. Here is a website that has some great information about hygiene including cleansing your body, vaginal discharge, and sweat. http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/feminine_hygiene.html
College & Career Readiness
- College– Have you thought about college yet? Are you nervous about everything that happens before and during college? if you are the first one in your family to go to college, don’t worry, there are a lot of resources available to assist you with the college application process, paying for college, and succeeding in college. Even if you are not the first one to go to college, there are resources available for you. To explore more information about college you can stop by the local Coastal Compass Center located at La Palmera Mall (next to Longhorn Steakhouse) or visit http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/
- Paying for College– Money doesn’t grow on trees and the cost of tuition is raising each year. Time to research information about scholarships, grants, and other funding opportunities and sit down with your parents to discuss it. Did you know if your parent/guardian was or is in the military there is money available for you to go to school for free? If you are Hispanic, African American, Low Income, First Generation College student (first one to go to a 4 year institution) in your family you can receive scholarships.
- FAFSA– Free Application for Federal Student Aid is available for EVERYONE to fill out. The key is that this application is FREE, so if anyone is trying to charge you to complete it it is not a true FAFSA form. Again, you can visit the Coastal Compass Center at the La Palmera Mall to get assistance with your FAFSA. You will need your parent’s income tax information. To find out more information about the FAFSA, visit https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Types of Financial Aid– Several types of financial aid exists and you can visit College for All Texans to get more information about those specific types. Visit http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=699A998A-E7F3-1DCC-3F460F26136EEA05
- Career Readiness– Do you know what you want to be when you grow up? It’s ok if you don’t have an exact idea. But if you haven’t even thought about it, now is the time to start thinking about it. It is true what people say, “you can be anything you want to be, you just have to put your mind to it”. Sometimes we don’t know because we haven’t been exposed to a lot of choices. Do you have a relative that does something interesting? Have you asked them questions about what they do? To get a better idea of where to start, first take a Career Interest Survey.